Applications Open for the Human Rights Watch Internship Programme 2021. The internship will consist primarily of press monitoring and compiling reports on news relating to Mozambique, specifically news related to the crisis in Cabo Delgado. Other responsibilities may include small research assignments, data management and analysis, drafting documents regarding issues in Cabo Delgado Province. The intern’s duties may also include attending external meetings. Other projects may be assigned as they arise that match the student’s interests and abilities.
Students will also have opportunities to attend virtual lectures, trainings, professional development workshops, and/or special events relating to human rights, as well as network with other HRW interns, volunteers, and employees. As an HRW intern, students will take skills acquired in school and apply them in a professional setting.
- The intern must be a student for the duration of the internship term.
- Applicants should be well-organized, self-motivated, and reliable, with strong attention to detail.
- A strong interest in human rights, specifically concerning the SADC region, is essential. Relevant coursework is highly desirable.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office, Excel, internet applications) and internet research skills are essential.
- Proficient reading and writing abilities in Portuguese is preferable.
Applicants must have valid authorization to intern in South Africa.
- Interns will receive a gross monthly stipend of R 6,000 per month, which will be pro-rated based on the number of hours they are in the “office”, to help offset living expenses in accordance with HRW policy.
- Students are often able to arrange academic credit, as HRW internships may offer direct exposure to the workings of an international human rights organization, close supervision by HRW staff, and interaction with other international organizations and foreign and domestic government officials.
- Students should check with their individual academic institutions for requirements.
How to Apply
Please apply immediately by visiting our online job portal at: https://careers.hrw.org and attaching a CV/resume, letter of interest/cover letter, a brief writing sample.
No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Due to the large number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further.
Closing Date: Thursday 15th July 2021