African Women Entrepreneurship Cooperative (AWEC) 2021 Opens Application for Female African Business Owners. The AWEC is an innovative 12-month, leadership and business management capacity building program that empowers 200 female entrepreneurs annually.
Who Should Apply
Women who are:
- Founders of businesses that have been in operation for at least two years in any industry and have at least two employees (either full time or part time) OR women who have a strong business concept and plan to launch their business within the next year
- Founders of social enterprises are encouraged to apply; founders of NGOs or nonprofit organizations are no longer eligible for the 12-month program
- Citizens of any African country, currently living on the continent or in the diaspora
- Comfortable with remote teamwork and collaboration, especially using digital tools
- Proficient in verbal and written English
- Able to regularly (at least weekly) access the Internet through a computer or tablet
AWEC admissions do not discriminate based on race, religion, age, disability, marital status, education, business revenue, or geographic location.
Please note: For those living in the diaspora, your business must clearly impact Africa through the creation or delivery of its products or services, or based on where its customers reside.
What We Look For
AWEC seeks to build diverse cohorts in which Fellows share some consistent characteristics:
- Vision and resiliency
- Business clarity and market knowledge
- Commitment to building their businesses
- Motivation to be part of a yearlong learning experience
What to Expect
This program is rigorous and time intensive. Fellows should expect to:
- Spend an average of 4 to 6 hours per week participating in AWEC activities, primarily online
- Participate in at least one AWEC activity per week throughout the program, including Zoom-enabled meetings
- Be challenged, stretched, and inspired as they acquire new knowledge
- Develop skills, build their peer network, and transform their businesses
- Be matched with a mentor and to take ownership of their mentor/mentee relationship
- Be introduced to a peer group, and actively contribute to group discussions and activities
- Gain access to a program advisor from whom they can seek support when needed
- Respond to periodic surveys to improve the overall experience.
How You Will Benefit
Upon successful completion of the 12-month program, Fellows will:
- Form connections with a diverse network of African women entrepreneurs
- Establish a relationship with a senior business mentor
- Strengthen strategy, leadership and business management skills
- Gain skills in finance, marketing, and strategy needed to grow and scale their enterprise
- Develop a toolkit of soft skills, including self-confidence, resilience, collaboration, and cross-cultural communications.
African Women Entrepreneurship Cooperative (AWEC) 2021 Application
- To begin your application, click Here—-> Apply Now
- Please read and follow ALL instructions carefully throughout the application process
- For the best user experience, we strongly recommend that you use a desktop PC or laptop to apply.
Closing Date: 31st January 2021