10 Interesting Facts About The New Coronavirus Breakthrough Drug Dexamethasone. Scientists have found a cheap and widely-available drug which can help save lives of seriously ill coronavirus patients, Dexamethasone.
This is a prescription medication available as an oral tablet, oral solution, eye drops, and eardrops. It’s also available as an injectable solution or an intraocular solution given after surgery. These last two forms are only given by a healthcare provider.
Learn more about the drug below;
- Dexamethasone belongs to a class of drugs known as corticosteroids and is used to treat a range of conditions related to inflammation.
- Preliminary results from a clinical trial just released indicate the drug seems to reduce your chance of dying from COVID-19 if you’re in hospital and need oxygen or a machine to help you breathe.
- As an anti-inflammatory medication, Dexamethasone relieves inflammation in various parts of the body.
- It is used specifically to decrease swelling (edema), associated with tumors of the spine and brain, and to treat eye inflammation.
- Dexamethasone is also used to treat or prevent allergic reactions.
- It is also a treatment of certain kinds of autoimmune diseases, skin conditions, asthma and other lung conditions.
- Dexamethasone has also been used as a treatment for a variety of cancers, such as leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma.
- It is used to treat nausea and vomiting associated with some chemotherapy drugs.
- It is used to stimulate appetite in cancer patients with severe appetite problems.
- Dexamethasone is also used to replace steroids in conditions of adrenal insufficiency (low production of needed steroids produced by the adrenal glands).