Applications Open For The Harvard South Africa Fellowship Programme 2020 – 2021. The Harvard South Africa Fellowship Programme, or HSAFP, is an educational programme that aims to provide better opportunities to mid-career professionals who are educationally disadvantaged as a result of resource allocation and past laws in South Africa.
Requirements or Eligibility
Interested individuals must review the following minimum qualifications before sending their applications:
- Mid-career professionals or those who have working experience and possess considerable skill in their area of specialization
- Candidates who have recently completed or have yet to complete their course of study to further their chosen field of specialization
- Must be South citizens 30 to 45 years of age
- Permanent residents with South Africa ID card are welcome to apply
- Must be able to secure a leave of absence from an employer
- Must be able to pass admission at Harvard
- Must be available for Harvard residency by September to June. Note that some courses start on July 1st
How to Apply
Qualified individuals who are interested in applying for a fellowship are required to submit the following documents:
- Access CARAT and register an XID account where the required documents will be submitted. Click here to get started
- Full transcripts from secondary learning institutions attended
- Transcripts must contain course titles and grades obtained from secondary learning institutions
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. Must be submitted via the “References” tab on CARAT
- Writing samples in the form of a personal and an academic essay typed in a standard font and 10 to 12 pt font and double spaced.
- A personal statement must have at least 250 words and a maximum of 750 words. An essay must contain at least 500 to 1000 words
- Essay, personal statement, transcripts and CV must be submitted via the “Uploads” button on the “Browse Opportunities” page.
- Applicant’s full name must be indicated at the top of each page
The HSAFP Application Process:
Complete the application on CARAT and upload the necessary documents through the “Uploads” tab.
Note: The HSAFP application is hosted on CARAT (Centralized Application for Research and Travel) and search “HSAFP” for the application. Unless you are a Harvard affiliate, you must register for an XID before applying through CARAT. You will create an XID LogidID and password to use when accessing CARAT. If you are a Harvard student or alumnus, you can access CARAT with your HarvardKey user credentials. Please note that upload sizes on CARAT are limited to 2MB.
- An academic essay must describe all critical issue related to the applicant’s field of study
- A personal statement must talk about reasons for studying at Harvard and how studying there is connected to the applicant’s past actions and decisions
Opening and Closing Dates: The submission of applications starts on 2 December 2019 and ends on 15 April 2020.