Applications Open For The Western Cape Government Health Bursary Programmes 2020. The Western Cape government is currently offering a limited number of bursaries under its Health Department. The bursary offer is to drive more students to pursue qualifications in fields of study where there is an identified shortage of skills. In addition, the programme aims to attract suitable individuals with solid competencies, skills and knowledge who can assist the Health Department meet its service delivery needs.
Bursary support is awarded to students intending to pursue the following fields of study:
- Medical (MBChB)
- Emergency Medical Care
The recognized universities where a prospective bursar can pursue a health science qualification are as follows:
- University of Western Cape
- University of Cape Town
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- University of Stellenbosch
More health science-related areas of study may be added or removed each school year depending on the Health department’s service delivery needs.
Bursary benefits are given on a work back scheme for each year benefits were awarded. The first year of bursary obligation will require the student to render community service. Working students are required to pay back the bursary obligation by the time they successfully completed their qualification.
Individuals who meet the following basic requirements are eligible to apply:
- Must be a South African citizen and Western Cape resident
- Must gain admission to a higher education institution (HEI) recognized by the Department
- Able to submit a valid proof of registration from an accredited HEI at the beginning of the financial year
- Must be able to secure and submit all supplementary or annual results within 30 days upon receipt of the results
View a PDF format of the WCG Health Bursary Programme advert by clicking the link.
How To Apply
- Application forms are available at the accedited HEI where the qualification will be pursued or
- Download the application form here
- Apply online by clicking here
The following supporting documents are to be uploaded/attached to your application:
- Copy of South African ID
- Highest academic results from previous year or matric certificate. Current matric students submit results from Grade 12, June 2019
- Proof of residence such as lease agreement, rates, account statement or an affidavit
- Proof parent’s income such as SASSA letter, tax certificate or payslip
- Motivation letter addressed to the Bursary Committee
Send application forms by post to:
Directorate: People Development
Sub-directorate: People Development and Training Programme
PO Box 2060
Cape Town, 8000
Closing Date: 30 September 2019.