The successful person will be tasked with producing relevant, compelling and factually correct news, feature and multimedia content for News24 to deadline each day. This is a great opportunity for someone who has a degree or diploma in journalism, languages or media studies with at least 5 years of experience.
– Diploma or degree in journalism, languages or media studies Experience writing for a mainstream newspaper or magazine or reporting for an online or wire news operation or a broadcast news service.
– At least 5 years’ experience: Preferred would be some experience in producing multi-media content Good general knowledge.
– Knowledge of particular target market of the publication; Knowledge of topical issues and current affairs.
– Valid driver’s license.
– Proficient in relevant computer software packages and application.
– Passion for media, knowledge of current affairs.
– Established network of contacts
Skills And Competencies
– Able to write fluently in English
– Able to work under extreme pressure and to strict deadlines
– Good time management and the ability to multitask effectively and follow through
– Sound news judgment
– Knowledge of the online news environment
– Knowledge of social media
– Detail orientation
– Good people skills
– Quality orientation
– Good decision-making abilities
– Persistence and results orientation
– Questioning and listening skills
– The ability to work independently
Duties And Responsibilities
– Investigate and research article content for news and/or feature stories.
– Write quality news and feature articles, adhering to strict deadlines.
– Create target-market-specific articles and multi-media content.
– Generate feature ideas.
-Adhere to the quality , style and content standards as laid out and required by the particular publication.
– Comply with the requirements of the South African Press Code; – May be required to assist and support freelance staff and junior permanent staff.
– Proofread articles.
– Generate and liaise with network of contacts to assist with research or completion of articles/features.
– Will be required to take photographs and shoot video