Media24 is a leading media company in Africa with interests in digital media, newspapers, magazines, printing, distribution, book publishing, job classifieds, and e-commerce.
Media24’s digital media division, 24.com, is a leading African network of popular digital publishing brands and online services across the internet, mobile and applications.
24.com is dedicated to creating and sustaining uniquely African online and mobile communities. As South Africa’s largest digital publishing house, the network welcomes over 16 million local unique browsers monthly. Media24 is part of Naspers, a multinational group of media and e-commerce platforms.
The news desk intern will work with the news editor and deputy editor in ensuring that Huffington Post South Africa website is timeously updated with news of the day and republishing stories from Huffington Post partner sites from across the world.
They will also assist with uploading wire stories and aggregating stories, writing quick updates and reporting where required. The news desk internship is an invaluable opportunity to learn the ropes at the engine of the newsroom and learn from senior members of the team.
– Relevant tertiary qualification
– Any reporting experience would be a bonus
– A demonstrated ability to write cleanly and quickly: a blog or similar as evidence would be very useful.
Skills & Competencies
– Excellent, clean writing skills and the ability to produce work that requires little to no editing
– An obsession with hard news in South Africa, particularly hard news. It should come naturally to you.
– A keen sense for how to make news compelling in a digital environment using images, headlines, and other publishing elements
– Be comfortable in a fast-paced, creatively demanding work environment that requires meticulous attention to detail
– Creativity, open mindedness, willingness to learn and experiment
– A team player and who enjoys working closely with a young and excited team
– A demonstrated understanding of online news production, particularly the speed required of the medium
– A demonstrated keen enjoyment of digital and social media
Duties & Responsibilities
– Assist the news editor in the running the Huffington Post South Africa web site
– Process, upload and publish content where necessary
– Republish content from our partner sites as well as wire and other sources of content
– Assist with writing up quick news updates, and aggregating from various sources.
– Be available to do basic reporting where needed which may include going out, doing interviews.
– Assisting with transcribing where needed.
– Assisting with newsroom administration
Closing Date: 20 April 2016
CLICK HERE TO APPLY