Personal Branding is about identifying and then communicating what makes you unique and relevant and differentiated for your target audience, so that you can reach your career and/or business goals. If you understand your strengths, skills, passions, and values, you can use this information to separate yourself from your competitors and really stand out.
1. Know yourself – Spend some time thinking about what makes you different than your peers — your strengths, your passions, and your goals. If you left your job today, what would your company and colleagues miss? Know who you are, as well as who you are not.
2. Identify your goals – Goal setting is a powerful process for thinking about your ideal future, and for motivating yourself to turn your vision of this future into reality. The process of setting goals helps you choose where you want to go in life. By knowing precisely what you want to achieve, you know where you have to concentrate your efforts. You’ll also quickly spot the distractions that can, so easily, lead you astray.
3. Don’t try too hard- Stop reaching for any and every bit of publicity. A Brand Is What It Does, Not What it Says. Make sure you live your brand. If you are a writer, write. If you are a baker, bake. And showcase that writing and baking for all to see. Show, Don’t Tell.
4. Decide and lay out your core values- Decide and lay out your core values. Decide how you would like people to see you and then work on publicly being that image. How would you like potential customers and clients to think of you?
5. Re-valuate your goals – From time to time it is of infinite importance to re-evaluate where you stand in relation to the goals you set for yourself. After you’ve evaluated your goals and the effort you have put forth to achieve them
6. Be the best at what you do- Imagine if you were the best at what you do. If you were the best at what you do, how would your life change? The fact is you can be your best at whatever you do, and getting there doesn’t require a degree in rocket science. It does, however, require that becoming the best at what you do is important to you.
7. Market your personality– You need to discover your brand personality, so you can use this style in all the marketing efforts you undertake in the future
8. Know your target audience- Building a personal brand is useless unless you target the right audience. You need to know how to target the right group of people so you can eventually monetize your brand. Always keep in mind that you know that defining a target audience is a business best practice.
9. Go out and network- Networking is the single most powerful marketing tactic to accelerate and sustain success for any individual or organizational. Networking is about making connections and building enduring, mutually beneficial relationships.
10. Reinvent yourself- No one else is going to pave the way for you to reach your dreams, and even when one dream slips away, there are still opportunities to reinvent yourself.