YOUTH TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION FUND
Call for Proposals
The Technology Innovation Agency (TIA or the Agency), an initiative of the Department of Science and Technology, has a mandate to
enable and support technological innovation across all sectors of the economy in order to achieve socio-economic benefits for South
Africa and enhance its global competitiveness.
The Agency is a public entity with the aim of enhancing the country’s capacity to translate a greater proportion of local research and
development from higher education institutions, science councils, public entities and private research institutions into commercial
technology products and services. For further information, please visit our website: www.tia.org.za.
An initiative of the Department of Science and Technology
TIA has established the Youth Technology Innovation Fund (YTIF) aimed at promoting and stimulating a culture of innovation and
entrepreneurship amongst the youth by providing access to financial and business support resources. This funding instrument is aimed at the youth between the ages of 18 to 30 not already funded through the YTIF or other TIA funding instruments.
The YTIF is calling on applicants with innovative ideas that present a technologically innovative product/process/service that
requires technology development in one of the following focus areas: Health, Advanced Manufacturing, Mining, ICT, Energy, Industrial Biotechnology and Agriculture, but is not limited to these sectors only.
YTIF will be driven to deliver on developing a pipeline of innovative technologies for various economic sectors through:
1. Supporting technology innovative opportunities that have technical and commercial end points;
2. Increasing technology innovation and entrepreneurial capacity amongst the youth of South Africa through offering of business
support services such as incubation and mentorship programme;
3. Facilitate strategic partnerships with TIA funded investments to enable the youth to share knowledge, expertise and utilize the
infrastructure at Technology Stations and Platforms.
Qualifying Criteria: Candidates must be:
• Between the ages of 18 – 30
• Not received any funding from TIA before
• All applicant(s) should be South African Citizens or have South African Permanent Residency
• The application should exclude promotion of recreational drugs, liquor, and gambling or sex trade.
How to apply:
Follow this link to access Youth Technology Innovation Fund: http://www.tia.org.za/Funding-Procedure/youth-technology-innovationfund
Closing Date: 30 November 2014
Should you require any further information in relation to the YTIF please call (012) 472 2743 or (012) 472 2919, or send
an email to Youth.Fund@tia.org.za or send a fax to 086 644 8756